We're going to build a guard with balusters like we did upstairs. Originally we were going to just use a 30 cm wood guard along the side, but I looked up code. The building code says the stair guard must be 90 cm, hence the change. We considered just drywalling it all in, but that would really limit the amount of right and close off the space. This was a good compromise.
- Saw the front edges off each stair (actually happening right now)
- Touch up the brick wall (paint the parts that used to be covered by the stairs)
- Cut the stair overlay wood to size
- Stain the overlay steps and paint the risers
- Attach the overlays (I'm not sure overlay is the right word...but I'm going with it)
- Cut the stair guard rail and balusters and newel post to the correct sizes
- Paint all stair guard components
- Assemble stair guard
- Drywall in top piece
- Plus probably about 100 other things involved in this project that I'm forgetting.
When all that's done, then we can start on all of the basement storage stuff! Wow this is going to be a big project - but I'm excited! Stay tuned!!! Oh yeah, and I haven't forgotten about the January Cure - I will post this week's projects soon!