Nevertheless, we have found our Aladdin, Genie, and Jafar for sure. We have callbacks tonight for Jasmine - so many talented ladies, so they will read with Al and sing again and we will make a set decision. We also need to see some potential narrators (there are 5 throughout the play, which is different than just the beginning in the movie) - who need to be able to sing and project. We have a few hopeful Iago's, Sultan's, and guards. No Abu or Raja in this one!
We will confirm everything after the meeting tonight, and it will be done. We have a ton of people already set for the chorus - townspeople, guards, the other princes.
To Wrap Up: Our director's and auditionees most hilarious questions and comments asked during auditions:
1. Director: How long have you been here? No, not at this school, in the country! (She is from the same country of origin which we (the other two judges) decided was NOT racist coming from her).
2. Director: Do you ALWAYS wear your hair like that?
3. Director: You don't want to sing? But we're philipino - we're all about the karaoke!
4. Me: Can't you say it more angry than that? You're too nice.
5. Director: Would you be willing to wear a full body stocking?
6. Multiple Auditionees: I had to memorize the song and monologue? Why?
7. Dance Teacher: He can't dance...maybe we'll just focus on "left foot, right foot" this year...
8. Multiple Auditionees: I have to sing "Friend Like Me"? Why?
US: Because you're auditioning for the genie.
9. Me: It's like the blind leading the blind with this one! (particular group of bad dancing)
10. Director: Why did you write "tongue" as a comment?
Me: Because she kept sticking her tongue out when she danced...it was weird. I thought she was going to lick me.
I'm sure there are more I am forgetting or should not be shared on this blog, but there will be a lot more tonight! Wish us luck for finding the rest of the cast!